Building Your Assets and Wealth

Next Steps

Learn More

Tax Help

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) centers help people file their taxes for free. Find a local VITA center or call 1-800-906-9887.

Benefits and Legal Help

Disability Law Colorado (DLC) offers information, referrals, and resources for self-advocacy, and sometimes provides free or low-cost legal services to selected people with disabilties whose civil or human rights have been violated.

The National Organization of Social Security Claimants Representatives (NOSSCR) provides referals to attorneys and paralegals who represent people who think they've been unfairly denied Social Security benefits.

Asset Development Programs

ABLE Accounts

Colorado's ABLE account program is Colorado ABLE. Learn more about ABLE accounts and compare different state ABLE programs at the ABLE National Resource Center.

Individual Development Accounts (IDAs)

Each IDA program has its own application process. To find an IDA program in your area, Prosperity Now provides a map of financial programs by state, including IDAs.

Plans to Achieve Self-Support ( PASS)

The PASS application is complex. Get help with it from a PASS specialist. To contact the Littleton, Colorado PASS Cadre (serving all of Colorado), call 1-888-824-4384, ext. 29911. You can also talk to a certified benefits counselor to learn more about PASS.

The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)

IRS Publication 596 is a comprehensive guide to the EITC. The IRS EITC Assistant can help you see whether you qualify for an EITC and how much you might get.

The Colorado Department of Revenue provides information about the Colorado Earned Income Tax Credit.

The Child Tax Credit (CTC)

Get information about the CTC from the IRS.

Special Needs Trusts

The Special Needs Alliance can help you find an attorney who specializes in Special Needs Trusts.

The Social Security Administration has excellent information about Special Needs Trusts and SSI eligibility.

Colorado Home Modification Tax Credit

The Colorado Department of Local Affairs explains the Home Modification Tax Credit, which gives residents with an illness, impairment, or disability a tax credit of up to $5,000 per person to retrofit their home for greater accessibility and independence.

Ticket to Work

Social Security’s Ticket to Work Program helps people with disabilities who get Social Security benefits re-enter the workforce and become more independent. The Ticket to Work Program offers free access to employment-related services, such as training, transportation, and vocational rehabilitation. You can call the Ticket to Work Help Line at 1-866-968-7842 or 1-866-833-2967 (TTY).

Get Help with Your Benefits

A trained Benefits Planner can help you understand your benefits programs. Exactly who you need to contact depends on your situation and the benefits you get.

View DB101's full list of experts who can help you understand different benefits.

Learn more