Energy Assistance

The Basics

If you have low income and struggle to pay your energy bills, Colorado offers a network of state, local, and industry partners to help you:

  • Pay for some of your heating costs
  • Get free emergency repairs if your main heating system stops working in cold weather
  • Make non-emergency repairs to your heating system, and replace it if needed, and
  • Lower your heating costs by making your home more energy efficient.

Here is how some programs might help you:

  • The Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) helps pay heating bills, with a one-time lump-sum payment in each heating season (November 1 to April 30).
  • The Crisis Intervention Program (CIP) provides emergency repair or replacement of a broken heating system.
  • The Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) helps lower your heating costs with free or low-cost improvements to make your home more energy efficient.
  • Colorado's Affordable Residential Energy Program (CARE) offers free energy efficiency, health, and safety upgrades to your home if you live in a participating county, meet the income limits, and get service from a participating utility company.
  • Energy Outreach Colorado provides year-round help with paying energy bills, heating system repair or replacement, and other energy-related services. (This is in addition to its CARE program.)
Property Tax/Rent/Heat Credit (PTC)

Colorado offers a Property Tax/Rent/Heat Credit (PTC) rebate to year-round, low-income residents who have paid property tax, rent, or heating bills. To get the rebate, you must be 65 or older, a surviving spouse age 58 or older, or have a disability (at any age). The amount of your rebate depends on your total income and expenses. The income limits and the minimum and maximum rebate amounts change each year. Learn more about the PTC, including how to apply.

Learn more